Wednesday, May 6, 2015

IWSG: May. I think. It's May, right?

Time has been flying lately! I can't believe the school year is almost out. I'm trying to tell myself I'll write more once school is out. (But I have this vague memory from the end of last summer where I told myself I'd write more once school started . . .)

For those that don't know it yet, the first Wednesday of the month is Insecure Writers Support Group day. The day for us to shout our insecurities into the world! Big thanks to Alex J. Cavanaugh (IWSG founder and amazing writer and person) and his awesome cohosts, Eva Solar Melanie Schulz, Lisa-Buie Collard, and Stephen Tremp!






This month I'm going to Storymakers, a big writing conference in Utah. I'm super, super excited! I know I'll be meeting some of my favorite online people IN REAL LIFE! And seeing a few of my critique partners again, which is so wonderful.

But (there's always a but, isn't there?) I'm nervous too. I'm not a naturally social person. I don't make great first impressions. I'm awkward and dorky and I never know how to react to other human beings when they talk to me.

True story.

Thankfully I know I'll have a few good friends with me who've done this conference before and will be there to help me out. 

How about you? Are you good at the social networking stuff? Or are you awkward and shy like me? And anyone else going to Storymakers? I'd love to see y ou! 

11 comments:

  1. I'm beyond awkward. I've never gone to a big event like that, though, so I have no idea how I'd actually do. I'm sure you'll be fine, especially since you won't be alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll be fine! At least you know some people.
    I'm more of the quiet type.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So jealous! I'm sure you'll have a super time. As to awkward and shy - uh, I think a lot of writer's fall into that category. (I definitely do) I doubt you'll be alone...or the most shy of all ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can be shy too but these events help crack open that shell. Have fun Rachel and work hard!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh, I wish I was shy. I never shut up. I'll send some of my loudness your way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm shy too, but not so much at writer events, because there's so much to talk about. I hope your conference inspires you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We'll be awkward together. I'll even hold your hand. Well, in my mind. We might look kinda silly doing that for real. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm completely awkward in front of new people. That's why I'm a writer, I can rewrite introductions :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went to a writing event last week and when I asked to introduce myself, I gave a five second, probably unintelligible, intro. Everyone else gave eloquent little speeches, selling themselves and their books. So, yes, I am awkward.

    Have fun and enjoy! Say hi to everyone for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you had a great time at Storymakers! I wish I could have gone and met you in person--trust me, I would have won at awkwardness ;) How people manage to come off all eloquent and smooth is beyond me. I can't even manage that on the internet where I can think about what I say!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! I'm always the same way, expecting to write more over the summer and then vowing to write more once the school year starts. Over and over, every year!

    And Storymakers was wonderful, wasn't it? I can't believe it ended over a week ago. I feel like I'm STILL recovering!

    ReplyDelete