Thursday, May 3, 2012

Dust it Off Blog Hop: the Pitch

A big thank you to Theresa Paolo and Cortney Pearson for hosting the Dust it Off Blog Hop. It's all about those novels we wrote and then realized just weren't going to work. It will be running over the course of the next week, with two more posts coming. Click on their names for more info and the links to the others participating.

Day one we are posting a pitch for one of our shelved manuscripts. Mine is a middle grade novel I was calling Elizabeth and the Fairies. (Very unoriginal, I know.)



Ten-year-old Elizabeth is less than thrilled about having to spend her summer in the middle of nowhere with a great-aunt she hardly knows, until she meets Fiona. Fiona is a fairy with a torn wing (thanks to Aunt Louise's cat) and a grumpy disposition. Elizabeth joins the fairy on a quest to save Fiona's sister from a frog and crown her as the Fairy Queen.

On Saturday we will be posting one of our favorite excerpts from our shelved manuscript. I actually lost a lot of this one when our computer crashed a couple years ago. Not a huge loss as the novel was not that great and needed a ridiculous amount of work to make it any good at all. But I have a printed version (or most of one) and I am looking forward to posting a little something from this story.

Now I am off to check out the other novels people have put 'under the bed,' 'on the top shelf,' 'in the trunk,' or wherever. :)

35 comments:

  1. Oh, this sounds super cute! I love the concept!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a picture I took of my daughter that I played with on picmonkey.com. :)

      Delete
  3. This sounds like fun. I love looking through our old manuscripts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. It sounds like a very sweet story. I can't wait to read your excerpt. I love a good fairy story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this sounds like a charming story. So sweet. I'd like to know more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds fun. I like the grumpy fairy--seems contrary to my view of fairies, but then again I haven't read many fairy stories. I suppose if a cat tore my wing though, I wouldn't be too happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha. Fiona is very determined to save her sister, she kinda' gets tunnel vision. They are joined by another fairy who is a bit more fun. :)

      Delete
  7. I agree with the above. Super cute and sweet! Moody fairies always make the best companions don't you think but I'd be grouchy too if some old cat swiped my wing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww, how cute! This sounds like a Fairy tale and I LOVE Fairy tales ... I want this book for my daughter!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love fairy tales, too. :) I actually wrote this for my daughter, Elizabeth. :) Since then I've had three more kids! Maybe I'll have to write a story for each of them. :)

      Delete
  9. This sounds so cute. I would love to read something like this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I already love Fiona. You get a good idea about her character, and Aunt Louise's, in such a short amount of time. Sorry about the crash - hopefully it will be a blessing in diguise. Looking forward to your excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And that's one of the things I've learned since writing this one- Always have a back-up! (Can you say, "um, duh?")

      Delete
  11. That just sounds like a lot of fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awwww.. i love this! It sounds like it will be a friendship story with some adventure in it! Plus I love all things Faerie. :)

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  13. My first thoughts: Absolutely adorable! I was instantly sold at (thanks to Aunt Louise's cat)! A grumpy fairy sounds like a blast to read about and with that said I can't wait to read your excerpt.

    That totally stinks about the computer crash. I think I would have had steam coming out of my ears and then I would have cried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      And yeah, I was a bit peeved at the time, (to say the least.) :) I guess I learned to always have everything backed up!

      Delete
  14. It sounds like a cute story. I know the feeling of losing something to a bad disk or crash. I've been a fanatical saver for probably 20 years now, saving every 5-10 seconds, for fear I'll lose a huge portion of text or an entire file again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds so cute!

    Bummer about the crashing computer! I'm so afraid of that happening!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That book reminds a lot of this one I read in fifth grade. I don't know the name of it, but recall there's a fairy wearing jeans on the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a cute idea!

    Yeah, the computer crashing is one of my greatest fears!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i can picture some cute animation for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I had some pictures in my head for it- but I can't draw to save my life! Oh well. :)

      Delete
  19. I think this is a great idea. Dust it off and bring it back out Rachel!

    **And McKenzie- the book you are talking about is called The Fairy Rebel-my little one is reading it right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :) I've thought about it, but it really needs a lot of work. Hopefully some day I'll get back to it.
      That is too funny! I may have to check it out for my little one now. :)

      Delete
  20. Aww! My daughter would love to read something like that. :)

    ReplyDelete