Saturday, December 10, 2011

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas

I love this time of year. Christmas can always be a bit stressful, but it's so worth it. 

This afternoon we had a Christmas get together with my mom's side of the family. Getting all four kids, and myself, ready this morning had me ready to scream and rip out my hair.  The baby was tired and fussy, but wouldn't take a nap. Catherine was getting into everything, as always. I was trying to frost cookies and get us all ready with one hand, (putting Maggie down resulted in major screaming.)

I finally got them in the car and on the road, although I didn't get everything done that I had hoped to.  Fortunately for me (and the people who would have to deal with me when I got there) I was able to call my best friend from my cell and bitch about it all for a minute. She listened, and laughed at me a bit. She's great that way.

I was ready to go, stop being cranky, and have fun.

It was great to see everyone. Plus there was a ton of wonderful food. I have cousins that I really only get to see at Christmas time. They are an interesting group and I love catching up with them. This year we even had one of my favorite cousins show up.  I hadn't seen her in well over a year so getting to see her and her kids was especially, well, special.

Then when my husband, Luke, came home from work he surprised the kids by showing up with a tree. They helped us set it up and decorate it. While we were working on it my husband got a call from a coworker. He was hoping Luke would switch schedules with him on Christmas.  This was great news as it means Luke will now work evening watch instead of day watch.  Now he can be home Christmas morning.

At bedtime we read Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa Claus to the kids. It is so beautifully written, it makes me choke up a little, (but I'm kind of a sap.) I hope to make reading it a family tradition.

Basically, it was a great day, despite its rocky start. This will undoubtedly be a great Christmas, no matter what kind of stress we all have to deal with to get to it!

1 comment: